Thursday, April 3, 2008

No way.

I had spent the week caring for my friend, Sheila, in another state and her family while she recouped from surgery. During that week, I just did all the natural mom-things:
  • played with her kids
  • took them to school
  • occasionally remembered to pick them up
  • served Oreos for breakfast
  • "decorated" her van
  • and may have misplaced all the veggies in her home. 

I also spent time with her friend and neighbor, Julie, in the yard, on the phone, getting ice cream and going to the pool (gotta love the south!)

A few days after I left, Sheila mentioned to Julie that my husband John is in ministry. Julie almost blacked-out. "SHE's a minister's wife?!!" It took some convincing, but she eventually believed her.

Sheila called me. Her first question, "What did you do? WHAT did YOU do??" She wanted details of what happened while she was medicated and why on earth would Julie be shocked that I was 'one of those'?

Whatever Julie's stereotype of a Christian Minister's Wife was, I had completely shattered it. 
And it was a good thing. She was willing to believe I was in Christ, but the married to ministry was too much.

Makes me wonder what Julie thought I was. 
Given a week with you what would a stranger guess you to be?






No comments:

life.