Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Save the man.

My dad's best friend was named Don. He was a larger than life kind of guy, with a laugh kind of like a volcano. I mean it truly erupted in a room and caught fire. In a good way. His love of life was highly contagious, which is probably why my dad was so drawn to him. 

For a couple years Don's business was in jeopardy. He stood to lose everything. For those few years Dad and Don would talk for hours every week. Repositioning, thinking, exploring and searching for solutions. A way to save his business. 

In October one year Dad's best friend Don died in a car accident. He was living life fast that afternoon, and paid a terrible price for it.

My dad was devastated. The loss was so great.

Because you see, my dad is a great man of faith. His personal relationship with Jesus is the center of his life. And although Don knew that about my dad, it was not the primary focus of their discussions. Not in the decades they had known each other, and certainly not in the last two years of intense financial crisis.

My dad later said to my mom, "If only I had spent those years trying to save the man, rather than save the farm."

Save the man. Always choose to save the man.

It is easy for me to lose site of Christ when the crisis hits. How do we spend our time when crisis hits? Problem solving? or with the One who can solve the problems?

2 comments:

Prodigal Jon said...

thanks for the comment on my site, stuff christians like, "let" is a great addition to the list and will be added soon. let me know if you think of any others.
Jon

Lula said...

How convicting! It is so easy for me to pass people by or just have friendly "non-controversial" conversations! Definitely something I need to work on!

OH and totally off the wall here, but my dad had a best friend named Don! LOLOL!

life.