Friday, October 11, 2013

high maintenance.

When it comes to friendships, I am high maintenance.

To be honest, I think we all are. 

It takes more than one friend to support me in crisis, to run fast with me in service and to help me find my mind when I've misplaced it. 

It is unfair for us to expect one Best Friend to meet all our needs. And by the same token, I cannot meet all the needs of any one friend. If we could do that, if we had the ability to be everything that someone needs, then they would not need Jesus. 

So I step back, and I am profoundly grateful for the Circle that supports and sustains me:
she who encourages me to clean my bathrooms
she who knows my husband and explains his wiring
she who has a pantry I can borrow from
she who leaves her door unlocked for my kids
she who doesn't believe me when I say, "fine. just fine."
she who travels to the ends of the earth to see me
she who holds me accountable for time with my Lord
she who holds my hand when jumping in a cold lake
she who sits on the beach with me for hours and hours and hours
she who has smoked a cigar and giggled at the same time
she who listens to me on No Filter Fridays and forgives me
she who grants me grace in the stupid places of my life
she who is consistent
she who is spontaneous

it just takes a lot of 'shes'. 
don't go it alone.
and don't be threatened by others.

hmmm. more on that one later.





No comments:

life.